Thursday, April 9, 2009

Has Trouble With Authority

Have you ever heard it said of a young person: "he or she really has trouble with authority?" Part of me always wants to say: "who doesn't?" I was one of those kids growing up who really had a negative attitude towards authority. Well, I should say towards about all authority except that of my parents and my minister. I was alright with their authority. There was just something about their authority that I felt was right and provided space and freedom in life.

But, teachers, coaches (even some very nice coaches), and adults who were all into their authority, or even my friends "strict" parents. Well, I really had a problem with that authority. Since I was a quiet kid, people rarely knew how I was.

And, yes, I guess I should say that I had a real respect for the ultimate authority over life: the Creator and Judge and Redeemer of the Universe.

Strange, for me, having faith in God meant a certain distrust of all human authority, and I have never been comfortable with any person in authority who didn't have a healthy suspicion of human authority. That first commandment: "you shall have no other gods before me!" To me, that felt like a great shout of freedom from all unjust human authority. It still feels that way!

People ask me how I can be a minister and defend people accused of crimes. It is easy and natural for me. I make a living as a criminal defense attorney by challenging authority, at times, flat out opposing authority, and keeping authorities in check. I have found a way to channel my "problem with authority" into a positive, socially acceptable profession.

Now, I didn't say that criminal defense work is without moral ambiguity. There are cases in which I would rather be the prosecutor. There are cases in which the interest in protecting the public from a dangerous person seem more important than checking authority. But, I am not in charge of the whole system, and I don't have to play all roles in our criminal justice system. So, I play one role and try to play it well. Being an advocate for human beings that are accused and in danger of being stigmatized and locked up like animals - well, that's a role I am very comfortable with. And, besides, if I hadn't found a positive way to channel my problem with authority, I would probably have been locked up a few times myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment