Thursday, July 22, 2010

Coffee

I haven’t had coffee for two months or so now because I was having some minor stomach trouble. But, I had some this morning! I had forgotten how much I love coffee, just how good it really is! After my first couple of sips, I found myself elated and thinking: “I will give up whatever I have to give up as long as I can drink coffee! I mean, if I have to cut back to one job to get my stomach in order, then I’ll do that!”

I was almost like the prodigal son returning home who thought: “I’ll be happy to live in the servant quarters, just as long as I can stay at home!”

Well, I am going a little overboard in talking about career changes and all that just to make sure I don’t have to give up coffee again. But, sometimes it is little experiences like this that really get us thinking about our lives. Sometimes realizing how wonderful a simple pleasure is makes us give thanks for our lives, which are not always so simple.

I remember my Dad, after he had lost his ability to walk, saying to me: “Don’t ever pass up the chance to take a good walk.” Or, as Joni Mitchell sings: “You don’t know what you got til it’s gone.”

Strange what a couple of good sips of coffee can get you thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment