Monday, December 6, 2010

The Presumption of Religious Belief

Sometimes I wonder about how crazy it must seem to a person who is not religious to listen to someone who is religious make these incredible claims about God and the unseen things of life. And, I am one of those religious people who makes these claims to know things that no one can possible verify that I or anyone else knows.

And, sometimes, I think that God may really like these very irreligious, agnostic people who are saying things like: "well, there may be a God, and all that, but how would I be able to know, and how would all these crazy religious people be able to know what they say they know?"

That's why I have to get back to deeds over words, deeds over creeds. Because, that is what is comes down to in the end for God. And, people that have no religious creed are on equal footing when it comes to what is most important: deeds.

I believe very deeply in the day in which everyone will account for their deeds before God. And, I believe that there will be so many who have never been religious who will hear God's blessing: "Blessed are you because you had mercy on those who were hurt, who were lonely, who were in need." And, there will be so many who were religious who will hear a real disappointment from God saying something like: "I was with those who were outcast, and lonely, and poor and hurt, and you turned away from me for some reason. Why did you do that?" And, there won't be any answer that we can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment