Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Days and Why I Haven't Grown Up

I am sitting here on Monday afternoon, with six inches of snow on the ground. My wife and I both got a "snow day" off from work. I have been out for a couple of walks in the snow.

But, last night I didn't know for sure, so I stayed up late to see if it was really going to snow like the weather forecast had said. I feel asleep around 1 a.m., woke up at 2:30 a.m. and saw a serious amount of snow on the ground. I love snow!

I remember so many good times when I was a child, checking the temperature, knowing it was well below freezing and then knowing that the snow that was starting was going to stick on the roads. We had four or five years of that when I was 8-12. And, we sledded and sledded until we were so cold and tired that we could barely walk home. Those were great times. As I got towards the end of middle school, it quit snowing, or at least that's how I remember it.

When it snowed a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday evening, I took off for a good long walk that night, because when it snows, I always want to get out into it.

I love the way it looks when it snows, and I love the way it smells and feels outside. I guess I have never grown up in some ways, and I'm glad I haven't. I took a small sled down part of my backyard - not any real sledding like I am going to be ready for if it snows again. But, I am still a kid when it snows. I am glad that I still feel that way about it. It makes me feel good about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment