Tuesday, March 8, 2011

As I watch the news . . .

I haven't been one to watch the news or read newspapers very often over the years, but I have been drawn to news stories about what is going on in the Middle East. I see people sick and tired of being arrested without cause, held without representation, and tortured without any chance to challenge the deprivation of liberty and dignity. I have heard story after story of locking people up without due process of law. They are sick of it in Libya, in Egypt, and in other countries over there.

And, then I turn around and read the paper here, read the new laws passed by our legislature in Tennessee, and look at the news, and I see legislatures passing laws to deny due process rights among our citizens. People in the Mideast are dying to gain what we have but don't value.

No comments:

Post a Comment