Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just Another Day and A New Day

Today is just another day, but then again, today is a new day. I have been alive for over 50 years, which is a lot of days, but I am alive right now on this day.

What I am thinking about this morning is how often I have started over in life, but then again I am never starting over from "ground zero." There is the foundation of the past or the residue of the past that is so strong in all of our lives. And, that foundation often sustains us and gives us meaning, but it can delude us, imprison us or haunt us as well.

And, whatever my past is seems to be subject to the definition I give it in the present. Now, I know that certain things happened or didn't happen, but the way they are remembered/understood and formed into the story of my life. . . well, that is a subjective and creative process. Memory is not a series of still-life pictures nor does it simply have video footage from our lives. Memory is unsettled, always shaking up the fragments of experiences gone by and seeing them in light of current experience and current ways of making meaning.

So, today is just another day, but then again it is the day from which I view and comprehend all the days I have ever lived. It is a day in which I am facing the challenges of today, but it is also a day in which I am shuffling and reshuffling the experiences of the past in light of the way I am seeing things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment