Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What I Learned from My Mom

I used to go to church every Sunday with my mother. My father was either on call, or often just worn out on Sunday mornings (he was a family doctor and on call every other night, made house calls,etc.). At a certain point, my sister got to where she didn’t want to go to church. But, I really loved going to Sunday worship with my Mom. My sister was two years older, and I got to a point in high school when I wasn’t as interested either. But, I remember those days in late elementary, middle school, when I went with my Mom and just liked every bit of it. There was a real joy about it.

I can say one thing clearly. My Mom went for two reasons and two reasons only: to praise God, and to love people. And, the love of people clearly came out of the love of God. I found out over the years that was exactly why my Mom went to church. And, when it got to a point where church presented a hindrance to praising God and loving people – well, my Mom just didn’t go to church, but praised God and loved people outside of church. But, even in times when my Mom didn't "go to church," church went with my Mom.

I’ve never lost what I learned from my Mom. It is at the center of who I am. And, when I remember who I am, I carry on this praise and love both inside and outside the church. The important thing is not the inside or outside, but the praise and love. But, somehow, I'm not sure I would have understood that unless I had experienced it inside the church. Those times of going to worship, worshipping and coming home from worship. Those were good times, sacred times for me - and, I think they were for my Mom too.

No comments:

Post a Comment