Saturday, January 30, 2010

One of my best memories

I am sitting here looking out the window towards Chilhowee Mountain. It is snowing. It is Saturday afternoon. And, I am remembering one of the best times I ever had in my life.

I was in high school at the time. I think I was a senior in high school. Mom and Dad and I were at “Pine Haven,” about 600 plus acres of land at the base and on up to the top of Chilhowee Mountain (a foothill of the Smoky Mountains). We had gone there that day to walk around in the woods and to climb and explore Chilhowee Mountain. And, we did.

It was a beautiful day. We just went where we decided to go – no set plans. And, we found one beautiful place after another. At one point, we just sort of stopped and settled into our own separate places. I climbed a tree and saw way out over to the Little Tennessee River; Dad was climbing up looking over the next ridge; Mom was sitting on the ground, and I could just hear her singing one of her favorite hymns.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday. We were in the presence of God, joyfully together in the presence of God. We, the three of us, slid down through the leaves, going pretty fast at times, down that mountain side. At one point, we slid right to the edge of a big drop-off. But, we were in the Spirit that day, and stopped just short of disaster. God's presence brings joy and freedom. I am grateful to have dwelled in that presence on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment