Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tommorrow Really is a New Day

I just woke up from a bad dream. Without going into details, I was in a really bad situation, had made a bad mistake, and was in trouble that wasn't going away. Gradually as I awakened, I began to realize that it was a dream. My experience changed dramatically from one just barely awake and feeling that my life had fallen apart to one three-fourths awake and realizing that, well, things were still basically o.k.

But, what if the dream had been reality (in the dream, I was getting ready to serve a significant jail sentence, lose my jobs, etc.)? If that was my situation, how would I look towards the future? What would I think as I woke up each day?

Many people, and probably about all of us at some point, face a deep struggle as they face "tommorrow." And, what may determine us more than anything is the "tommorrow" that lives in our hearts today.

As I lie awake in the early hours of this day, I am suspended between yesterday that is already gone and tommorrow that is not quite here. I have been reminded by my dream that a fresh start on a new day is not to be taken for granted. Sometimes a person has to go deep, deep down to find a fresh start on a new day when it seems that all tommorrows are cursed by past mistakes.

So, this morning as I am beginning to feel that hope that tommorrow is really a new day, my heart is with all of those struggling to realize this hope, whether their bad dream is their present reality or just a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment