Friday, September 3, 2010

Being at Peace with Others; Talking about Faith

The way to peace with others is that one's primary relationship in life be with God. When all relationships are bathed in the Spirit of God, the enmity and hatred and distrust tend to subside and fade over time.

I do think that there are a number of people in this world who are not overtly religious but who have a deep appreciation for life and live it graciously in such a way that they are "in the flow" with the Spirit of Life. This too may be a way of bathing all of one's relationships in the relationship with God.

My faith is in God, not in creeds that talk about or try to describe, define or limit God. I am concerned with the reality of God, the real presence of God in the world. Since this is my concern, I am somewhat objective when I start describing where I think God is present in human life. And, at times, it seems that God is present with a good number of people who don't subscribe to religious creeds.

I deeply love many religious writings and traditions of the Christian faith, and of the Jewish faith. And, these all point towards the center. These writings and traditions have at their core an unspoken center.

The center of my religious experience is a trembling awe that I have as I consider the Divine given to humanity in Jesus flesh, and what happens to the Creator of all in human flesh. It is a mystery that shakes me to the core, that I will always be moved by deep in my heart, and that I will never comprehend. Somehow I feel "comprehended" by the mystery and I rest in this feeling that is deeper than feeling. Maybe that is what we call "faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment