Monday, March 30, 2009

Sanity

Sanity is really a precious thing. Most all of us assume we are sane, but I am coming to doubt that. Sanity is a moment in the midst of a chaotic and crazy day when you treat another person like a human being, when you stop and feel that you are alive- allowing your self to be treated like a human being. No, sanity is not a very common experience. What we have day to day may not be insanity, but it is not quite sanity either. Sanity is being in touch with life, with reality. Sanity is being present and engaged in whatever it is you are doing and engaged with whoever it is you are with at any given time. We rarely do that.

Today, as I rushed away from work, I took my dog with me, and we went to see my mother. We visited for a while. I was thinking about what time it was when we were visiting at first. Then, my little dog and I took a walk, and I happened to sit down by a waterfall while he ran around. Some time went by, but very peacefully as I could hear the water falling. What time it was was no longer a thought. After a while, my dog started to bark at something. I got up. I don't know how much time had passed. My dog came to me, and we went back to see my mom. This time, I really got to be with my mom. My sense of time was gone. Sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment