Friday, April 3, 2009

On My Way to the Jail

I'm on my way to visit two young men who are in jail. They both have very serious charges. One case, I have not "worked out" with the prosecuting attorney; the other case, an agreement has almost been reached. One young man is sitting in jail wondering whether he will get out some day soon, or whether he might spend the next decade in prison. Both young men are very polite and respectful and cooperative with me. They are both barely adults.

Both cases are tragic - no malevolent intent - no, none of that. But, lives out of control, a split second bad decision and tragic results.

Sometimes it almost makes me shudder to think how "the stars can seem to align" tragically against some people. So many of us have taken reckless chances, made stupid mistakes in life that could have hurt or killed ourselves or others. But, for some reason, no one got hurt, we walked right on, perhaps with a huge sigh of relief.

I am thinking about that as I get ready to visit two young men who are locked up because they weren't so lucky - and, those hurt surely weren't so lucky either. Deeds have consequences. That's a hard truth in life. Most of us are real lucky if we come to understand in time just how lucky we have been in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment