Friday, April 3, 2009

In The Jail

In the jail, it is quiet in the hallways. It is quiet in the attorney visitation room. But, sometimes as I wait for the visit to begin, I overhear conversations of others in the visitation area. As I wait today, I hear an attorney who's frustrated saying: "what do you want me to do?!" I hear a girlfriend telling her inmate boyfriend that she is still working on the letter she is writing him because he asked her to make it real long. I imagine a real long letter from someone you love is a very good thing to get in jail. The attorney-client conversation is getting a little volatile. The girlfriend is laughing as she talks about people they both know. Just human beings - that's all they are, all we are. And, our efforts to forge a bond or a lifeline through our speaking and listening.

When I first visited clients in jail about 15 years ago, I sat at a table in an open room with them. I shook hands with them. Now, the conversation and seeing of each other takes place through a thick metal screen. "No contact visits" they call them. But, our efforts to forge a bond or a lifeline through speaking and listening go on.

The attorney sticks his head out, knowing he is getting into my visitation time. I recognize him. He is a good attorney and someone I like. "Can I have two more minutes?" he asks. "Sure," I say. Truth is I have nothing to tell my client. I haven't been able to get anything done for him. I am visiting to tell him that in person. That doesn't seem worth much. But, when you're in jail, you take any little bit you're given. And, the "in person" part is all I have to give.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Waters,

    Your blog is great! I'm looking forward to more updates, and I'll keep commenting so you know I'm alive. Would you mind if I showed my parents? Then you could have a couple more followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would certainly be fine to show your parents. Hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete